It’s been about a week since I last gave an update on the rental remodel.
I’ll need to get a current picture of the bathroom but since I shot this video I pulled off all the skirting to see if I needed to get some new support beams along the length of the bathroom. There was a fair amount rot. There was also quite a bit of sloping going on so I decided to get a new 4×6 beam to go under the sill plate.
Note: this property is not on a continuous concrete foundation. It was built on big posts and rocks. When I was poking around under the house looking for where the plumbing ran, I found this…I’m guessing this was either the original stack of rocks that everything else was built off of or maybe support under the old chimney.
As usual, I’ve taken things a little farther than I originally planned. At first, I was just going to get the bathroom up and running. Then I was going to redo the floors, then I was going to repaint everything, then I started pulling closets and drywall off the walls.
I knew that all this stuff needed to be done, but I wasn’t really planning on doing it all now. But it’s actually ok. Because of what I am finding underneath the drywall and the wallpaper, I don’t think I’m going to be putting any wall coverings back up except for paint.
So, as you can see in this video. I’ve pulled down the closet structure. It really wasn’t much. Just some 2×2’s and some plywood. I really have been pulling this place apart layer by layer. In pretty much any home built in the last 40-50 years, it is pretty predictable what you will find. It’s generally 2×6 stud framing on the exterior walls and 2×4 framing on the interior.
On the framing is usually a layer of 5/8 or 1/2 inch drywall and a few layers of paint. Under the carpet is usually some kind of plywood subfloor or possibly hardwood.
But with this house, I really had absolutely no idea what I would find. I have done some work on this property but none of it has involved removing anything on the walls.
These boards have really changed my thinking about what I want to do with this unit. You just don’t see this type of lumber anymore and it would be a shame just to cover it all up again.
I had a hardwood flooring guy come over to give me an estimate on refinishing the floors. As we talked I showed him the size of these boards on the wall. He said that people pay a LOT of money for wood like this and that he was just about done with a project where they took old lumber like this and laid a floor.
I asked him how much I could probably sell the stuff for. His guess was that I could get $7-8 per linear foot. That really adds up! I figure that means that if all the walls have this type of wood, I am probably looking at $3,000 for just this unit alone.
Problem is, these boards form the whole structure of this house. Without them, it would just fall apart. So, if I ever decide to tear the house down, I’ll salvage all this lumber. But for now, I’ll just try and showcase it as feature walls. At least I know it is there now.
Here is what I found in the kitchen where I removed a wall. (Ignore the numbers on the titles)
So, it turns out that this wall was one of the original walls in the house. I thought that this portion had been an add-on at one point in time, but I guess I was wrong. I guess this could have been the original kitchen. There is a little bit of counter space and a place for a wood stove. In 1890, there would have been no running water and no electricity, so there wouldn’t have been much need for the traditional kitchen.
Now I’m a little intrigued to find out more of the history of this home. But that will have to be a project for another time.
In case you are interested, here are my costs so far.
Dump fees – $92
Shower – $497 (I estimated that the whole bathroom would cost me about $500. I was obviously WAY off with that estimate. The toilet was pretty new so I’ll keep that but I still have to do a vanity and flooring and plumbing fixtures. I’m guessing it’ll be more like $1,500 when it’s all said and done including all the lumber)
Bathroom floor lumber – $277 (I’ve purchased plywood, 4×6, 4×4’s, 2×6’s, and concrete blocks and gravel for the posts)
Paint – $38 (This is just for the bathroom, there will be several more gallons I will need to buy)
Misc items – $20
Total – $924
I got a bid to have the floors refinished for $1,500. That bid is with the expectation that I will prep the floors (get them ready for the sander) and will put on the finish. So with the cost of the finish, I am now expecting the floors to cost about $1,700.
Paint – $150
Stove – $400
Fridge – $500
Supplies to finish the bathroom – $250
Blinds – $350 (There were no blinds so the tenants decided they would just staple dark sheets over the windows).
Wardrobes – $200 (I am opting not to build a closet at this point and just provide some simple wardrobe to hand their clothes in).
Miscellaneous – $250
Total of what I now expect the whole project to cost me = $4,750
That’s about twice what I wanted to spend when I first gave the tenants notice that they needed to move. But I think I will be very happy with the end result and the next tenants to move in should be very happy with it. I’m anticipating that I’ll be able to charge between $100 and $150 more for rent than I was before.